Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Kamryn Meets Alvin . . . and the rug at the bottom of the stairs


Unfortunately Kamryn tumbled yesterday. Not a somersault (which she loves when I help her do one) but a tumble down a couple of stairs. Luckily she landed on the carpet landing inbetween the two flights of stairs to the basement. She did however get a battlescar, a nice rug burn on her eyelid. She had learned to go down the stairs on her belly and slide down, but now that she is walking, she thinks she can walk down those stairs! She was okay, just sitting on the stairs. I told her to turn around, then freaked out as I remembered that Brendan had left some Magnetix on the stairs. So instead of picking Kamryn up, I ran ahead of her down the few stairs to collect those magnetic marbles that many children have died from swallowing, and she came tumbling after me. What a lesson and reminder for me that toddlers can act very fast, in the blink of an eye, and that accidents can happen in just seconds. I'm sure it won't be the last of her boo boos, but this is her first one, and I feel awful.

There is something about our house that attracts wildlife. We've had birds' nests in wreaths, we had a momma duck sitting on eggs last spring underneath one of our plants, and now we have Alvin. I walked into the family room this morning and looked out onto our patio only to see a chipmunk perched on top of our chair! Yikes! It must be the same one that visited us last year . . . he actually got into our screened in porch area then. Our neighbors generously handed down a big plastic house for Kamryn to play with that is out on our patio. Now when I go out with Kamryn to play, I will have to check for Alvin first. She loved watching him from the window, but that is close enough for me!




We're all fighting a sinus thing in our house, and Kamryn, Brendan & I are on antibiotics. Hopefully we'll kick this soon so we can enjoy the holiday weekend. Brendan & Kevin are going to the Indy 500 race for the first time this Sunday. They should have a good time. Kamryn, Matthew and I may just go for a bike ride since we just purchased one of those bike trailers for the back of my bike. Hopefully we have nice weather. The neighborhood pool opens this weekend too, so the kids are excited for that. I can't wait to see how Kamryn does in the water. She loves bathtime now so she will probably enjoy it. I still love experiencing all these "first" things with Kamryn and am constantly in awe of her outgoing personality, wit and charm.

Speaking of her outgoing personality, the other day we did a makeup music class at Gymboree instead of the gym class. There were 12 toddlers each with a parent in the room and here is Kamryn, standing in the middle of the group, dancing and clapping and yelling. She was very friendly especially with one of the few boys and his dad in the group. She wanted to hang with them instead of me most of the time. Must be that she is used to her older brothers because she's too young to be flirting already! My friend Beth was there with her son and just chuckled and said that Kamryn was just meant to be a third child because with her personality, she would have been bored just being the only child in the house! How funny and probably true!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOPS! It happens. Like you said, it won't be the last. She looks adorable even with a booboo. You may not have a dog or cat, but you do have pets, don't you. This is race weekend, you'd better pray for good weather! Have you participated in any of the Indy 500 events. How about taking the kids to the parade. I think the drivers are in it. Show Kamryn that she can drive a racecar if she wants to, just like Danica Patrick!! Love Kamryn's outfits, keep those pictures coming. Love to you, Kam, Kev, Matt & Brendan and all your outdoor (hopefully)critters.

Hugs and kisses,

Lin