Monday, July 23, 2007

Kamryn's Starting Speech Therapy

Kamryn is a very smart girl. She understands everything we say and can follow directions to a tee, but she doesn't talk. She only babbles and will say one word at a time. Her only sentences are "I do" when she wants to do something by herself or "whereareyou" all slurred as one word really when she is looking for something. Other 2-1/2 year old girls are talking full sentences very clearly. So I recently had Kamryn evaluated by Illinois' Child and Family Connections (early intervention) program. They determined that yes, she is delayed by 30% in expressive speech so she qualifies for therapy through their program. It's not free therapy but a therapist will come to our house once a week until she turns three or doesn't need the help anymore. We are glad to be getting her help so that she doesn't get frustrated and start acting out since she isn't delayed at all in any other areas. I know how to talk, but I'm not an expert at speech therapy so the education will be good for me too. I can't wait to really hear what's on her mind and actually have a real conversation with her.

No comments: