Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Chinese language and more





















Not only are we learning Chinese language, but we are also learning about the Chinese culture in class. Moon Festival was not too long ago and Helen LaoShi (teacher) brought in moon cakes for a snack. You will all be surprised to hear that I actually ate a sliver of a lotus seed paste flavored moon cake. It wasn't too bad but I prefer chocolate cake. Maybe those round ding dongs will be a nice substitution for my family next year since Kamryn didn't like the moon cake at all. (great idea Megan - check out what Megan did for her daughter's class!)






















It's so nice that Helen mixes things up during class. We all get up and exercise and count in Chinese while we are doing that. She sings songs with the girls and lets them dance around. She offers a snack and makes them ask in Chinese, "May I please have 3 pieces of cracker." Then she'll count out the crackers in Chinese. Of course thank you is said in Chinese then by the girls. This past week Helen gave the girls a Dora DVD in Chinese to borrow. Kamryn loves to watch it.

We were given a book and CD of the lessons too so we can practice at home. The songs are catchy, and we hear Kamryn singing the Chinese songs often. The boys will often ask me, "Is Kamryn speaking Chinese?" Good thing I am taking the class with her so that I know it is not just toddler babble. I am glad to tell the boys, "yes, she is."

1 comment:

Chris said...

Julie - I'm SO glad to read about Kamryn doing so well in her Chinese class - these girls are just amazing aren't they?