Sunday, December 21, 2008

The more prayers, the better.

This is the season to be joyous. Yet, my heart is very heavy because one of Kamryn's little playgroup friends is fighting cancer. I asked Ann, Abby's mom, if I could post about her situation and of course she said the more prayers, the better.

I think there was a definite "red thread" linking us with their family. My cousin Debbie and her husband Andy had a graduation party for their daughter in July. I knew that their friends who had just returned home from China were going to be there. We were excited to meet them and during our conversation that day when talking about China groups in the area, Ann mentioned that she had gone to a Friday playgroup outing at a park near our homes one day with her friend Julie. I'm the one who usually sets up the Friday playgroups, and I couldn't recall meeting her. Then I put two and two together and realized it was a day Kamryn and I missed, and Rowan's mom Julie had invited Ann & Abby that day. They attend the same church. Small world.

Abby has a "small eye" and vision loss. They had all the medical tests, MRI's etc, done when they returned home and everything checked out okay. But Abby's eye has been causing her pain so after lots of medications to help with that, the doctors decided the best course of action was to go in and remove the small eye now (instead of later) and to move forward with replacing it with a prosthetic eye. During surgery to remove her eye, they noticed the cancer.

Her website can explain everything much better than I can. She is currently in the hospital for chemo and has a long road ahead of her including daily shots and radiation treatment that will take place in Boston.

I can't even imagine being in their shoes. And they've been through this before with their first biological daughter who had a brain tumor. Ann is a pillar of strength though and has such strong faith that it really is an inspiration.

She's posted in her journal that they would like to "reward" Abby with small surprises after each of her shots. If anyone is willing to send stickers or small toys for Abby and big sister Jenna, please email me and I will forward you their address or would be happy to gather/buy/deliver for you too.




















Kamryn with Abby and Rowan at Halloween.

Abby's website

1 comment:

Sue said...

I will. I'd like to volunteer to drop off a dinner too. I'll e-mail you to find out more. She is on our prayer list!!!!