Monday, May 25, 2009

I've found the needle in the haystack

Really. It's taken a very long time, but I do feel a bit victorious and actually feel like rejoicing because it all makes sense now. It's been at least a 7 year mystery. It all began when I noticed my food "getting stuck" while eating. It is not a pleasant feeling. In fact, it is very, very painful and not even drinking water helps. That makes it even worse. When this would happen while dining out, I'd excuse myself and make a bee line for the bathroom so I could suffer alone until the feeling passed. Not to be gross, but not even expelling the food would help. I would still feel this tightness.

Went to several doctors and after given meds for reflux or some anti-yeast antibiotic for having too much yeast in my system (WHAT?, I knew that wasn't the answer. Had my esophagus dilated a couple of times and that helped temporarily. It wasn't until we were living in Indiana when our allergist suggested doing a biopsy of my esophagus for suspected EE - Esinophilic Esophagitis. Which is basically like having asthma in your esophagus. Yep, he was right. White blood cells aren't supposed to be in your esophagus. Probably an allergy. Did allergy testing at the time but looking back it was mostly environmental stuff they tested and not many foods. I was given an oral steroid inhaler to use every day just like an asthmatic would. (Matt was diagnosed with asthma at age 2, so again, it makes sense. I learn in reverse about medical stuff; more from my biological kids)

Since moving back here, I noticed my food getting stuck again more often. Lately, I've had thyroid problems too. So I'd blame my tiredness, brain fog - which makes your head feel like it's lugging a ton of bricks around, irritability, weight gain, bloating on that. But lately my thyroid numbers are okay. So stumped again.

But the feeling of having my throat swell is a new symptom - more pronounced then when my food would get stuck. It would swell without any food being there. And that's very scary! It started happening frequently and almost immediately after eating. I felt like I should have an Epi pen so I went back to the doctor and asked for more food allergy testing.

Boy am I glad I did! It's actually a relief to know that this is something I can control without medication. For the past several weeks that I've been trying this new diet, I've noticed a definite improvement in how I feel. When I "cheat" I can feel the effects. It's so not really worth it. That is how I will stay on track. Feeling good is the best incentive to eating right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for you Julie. I so wish I could help you. You're doing a great job on researching. Having to read everything on the labels takes so much time, but already I think you've found that it's worth it. Keep up the good work. Take good care of yourself and do call if you need help with anything.
Love ya, Mom