Monday, May 25, 2009

Now it's more personal!

Okay you gluten allergy! I know you are not one single ingredient - but a protein of wheat, barley and rye - but you are in everything! Why are you in licorice? I love Twizzlers!







Why are you in the little taco seasoning packets? Why are you in canned soups? Don't you know how busy I am already without having to spend time in the grocery stores reading labels? No more quick dinners but now I have to actually plan meals. Not so many casseroles and already prepared stuff but back to the basics of meat, fresh vegetables, potatoes (thank goodness:)

I guess it's not your fault that my immune system is tricked into thinking food is a poison. I can handle this. What I am having a problem with is that now you're messing with my son!

How do I tell him not to eat bread, pasta, pizza, cookies, hot pretzels, sandwiches, pop tarts, bagels, granola, sauces, Hot Pockets, stuffing, pancakes, smores, or birthday cake? And don't drink beer when you go to college. Oh, and no more hot lunches at school. Now that makes my 6:30 am morning more fun!










I know, it could be much worse. I am venting. And it feels good. I need this blog more than I think:)

This gluten thing is hereditary. Matt has mentioned that his food gets stuck when he eats a burger (on a bun) so I was not at all surprised when I called the doctor's office for his results on Saturday. His food allergies are a carbon copy of mine; in fact, his gluten intolerance was a bit higher than mine. I don't know if I like this "feeling responsible" thing that comes with having biological children.

This is when I really wish I had my medical history though. Maybe I wouldn't have had to "not feel good" for so long. Food intolerance worsens over time so that's why my body "handled" things up to this point - at my expense of not feeling up to par. I wonder if my birth mom or birth dad suffer from the same thing. I bet one of them does.

So on one hand, I'm glad that we found this out for Matt while he is only 13 so that he can feel his best everyday. It's hard enough being a teenager without feeling so crummy all the time. I don't know if he's felt the brain fog like I did, but he definitely has this chronic congestion which I am betting goes away within a week or so on this new diet plan.

Tonight he asked what I'm going to pack him for lunch tomorrow.









Yikes! Good thing I have some gluten free crackers and some gluten free pepperoni (can you say our own little "lunchable") and a gluten free peanut butter rice bar and an apple.

Good thing he is not my picky eater like Brendan! (who isn't allergic to any foods)

Good thing summer is right around the corner!

Good thing I'll have a few months to get this new routine in place.

Good thing that now I am more determined to meet with a dietitian. (when it was just me, it got put on the back burner.) But he is a growing boy.

Now it's more personal!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie - I am so sorry you're having such a hard time! Go ahead and vent all you want/need to (Twizzlers?! that's just wrong!), it sounds like you're on a tough road. I know you'll figure it all out, I do hope you feel better now knowing what your allergies are - sending you good thoughts! (and a virtual gluten-free Twizzler! :-)

Carol

Kerry said...

Ahhh- Julie- I can imagine how good it must feel to vent. There is just so much in processed foods that we don't even know or think about! It really is scary. You are doing a good thing for yourself and for your kids. Matt is lucky to have you as a mom! Hugs and hang in there.
Twizzlers are terrible for your teeth anyway.
Hugs

Kristen said...

Oh Julie, I feel for you, but yet I am so inspired by you!!! I think it's great that you're being so proactive about this, and I'm so happy you're already noticing positive results!!!

I keep telling myself to try "wheat-free" for a week just to see if I feel any difference. Maybe I can get a "favorites" list from you sometime.

Kristen said...

Oh Julie, I feel for you, but yet I am so inspired by you!!! I think it's great that you're being so proactive about this, and I'm so happy you're already noticing positive results!!!

I keep telling myself to try "wheat-free" for a week just to see if I feel any difference. Maybe I can get a "favorites" list from you sometime.

The Montieth Family said...

Julie-

Your writing is SO FUNNY...but, I am sorry to hear about your Gluten allergy...and Matt's! That is just not fun. :( I imagine that it is overwhelming but I just know that you'll figure it all out and come up with some really cool receipes!
((HUGS))! Megan

Sue said...

I am glad that you finally have the answer to your throat problems. And it sounds like it will be a while to figure out all the foods that are ok or not ok. ugh. Matt and you can commisserate on the loss of those goodies! Can you eat things that are ok for celiac disease? I'm sure the dietician will be so helpful.
Hang in there mom! It may take a while to get used to your new diet, but feeling better will be worth it!