Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Our First Girls Weekend Away



Last weekend, Kamryn and I went to visit my aunt Linda who lives in Omaha, Nebraska. Linda has generously offered to take the time to create our travel scrapbook with our pictures from China. Doing that long distance can get tricky, so a trip was in order so I could help her "outline" the pages. At our FTIA reunion, I purchased a cool Chinese scrapbook and several "China" papers and diecuts,etc. from the gal who owns scrapandtell.com. Linda and I have also hit many stores so we were very successful and actually mapped out 37 pages full of pictures with coordinating papers. All during naps and after bedtime of course. Now her project is to embellish and create. I can't wait to see the final book. Thanks again Lin!

Can you really believe that Kamryn and I got on another airplane only 9 months after getting home from China? If you've done the trip, you know what I mean. (I don't mean to scare those of you still waiting, you just do what you have to do) However, I vowed it would be a very, very, very long time before we did that. Plane ride aside, I began to wonder if I am crazy to travel alone with a very energetic almost 2 year old who won't sit still and then have to change planes on top of it. She flew for free as a lap child, but after switching planes in Chicago, she wanted nothing to do with my lap or any of the toys I packed to entertain her. The poor lady who was sitting next to us that flight got water spilled all over her, thanks to Kamryn. Stickers from Linda helped a bit on the trip home, even if she did stick them on my face, her face and in our hair. Kamryn generated alot of attention at O'Hare by doing somersaults and dancing at the terminal while waiting for the plane. She is not shy at all. She had no problem walking up to a guy eating McDonald's and just smiling at him until she got a fry. She is super friendly and super sweet until she doesn't get what she wants. (no comments please!) I wonder what some people were thinking while she was crying, arching her back in my arms trying to wiggle her way out of my grip while we were waiting in line to board. Delilah witnessed a mini tantrum in Indy when we got home and were waiting for our luggage. Kamryn does not want to be confined, she wants to roam like a free spirit. (Thanks Delilah for picking us up at the end of our trip! I can't wait to return the favor and pick you up when you get home from China!) Oh, I got a picture on my cell phone of Kamryn in the cockpit of the plane, but I don't know how to transfer it. Our flight back to Indy was delayed so Kamryn charmed the pilot as well as we waited to find out which gate we were supposed to be at. He offered the photo shoot, and unfortunately my real camera was packed since I really packed lightly for a change.



Linda has two wonderful golden retrievers, Amanda and Maddie. They loved Kamryn and she really took to them too! She was hesitant at first since she was outnumbered, but soon enough Kamryn felt comfortable enough to tease them, hug them and play with them. I think Kamryn must have felt like a star in Omaha because proud Aunt Linda took us to her office so her friends could meet Kami and more friends came to the house to meet her too! Linda didn't "baby proof" her house, but Kamryn showed us what to put up high and out of her reach like the decorative apples which became balls. She truly amazed us though when drink coasters with a wooden block on top of it became a teacup and saucer.






Hopefully it will become a tradion, to go away for a "girl's only" weekend. The boys will probably endorse it as well because according to Brendan, when asked why certain chores weren't done and what did they do, his answer was "We had fun!" with a huge smile on his face. Well, Kamryn and I had fun too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,

Let me tell you, I had a wonderful time and you ALL have an open invitation anytime you want. I loved it when Julie, Kev and the boys came out to visit and it goes without saying that during this visit the "little charmer" made everyone melt in her presence. Thanks for a wonderful time. You should see the beginnings of the travel book this weekend. Amanda & Maddie miss you both. Come back soon!!

Love always,

Lin

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time by Aunt Linda. I know she enjoyed your visit. Dear little Kamryn sure keeps you on your toes. I'll bet the lady on the plane, who got water on her lap, will never forget that plane ride. I can't wait to see the scrapbook. Aunt Linda does wonderful work. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures of your weekend.
Love ya, Mom