Sunday, September 14, 2008

ILL - INI
















Saturday we drove down to Champaign, IL to see the Illinois football game. We went prepared to sit in the rain. I made sure to pack those yellow ponchos we got in Florida one year, and I found my pullover rain jacket from college. It says on it: Pi Beta Phi FIJI Football Block and the year . . . oh my! I can't believe it but it said '88. Yikes! I graduated from college in 1989, and I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since then.

We made it down there in great time and wondered why it always seemed to take our parents longer to get there? Do we just drive faster or is it because we live a bit closer now? We didn't make any stops either so maybe that explains some of it.

We left very early in the rainy Chicago morning. By 7:15am! That's early for us. We drove through lots of rain and lucky for us, as we got closer to Champaign, the skies were clear. It was hot, hot, hot though. (Don't know whose sign this is, but I thought it was neat! They tailgaters didn't mind the photo shoot. Future Illini?)
















We walked up those long ramps to get to our seats in the stadium and when we got settled and started looking around, Kamryn asked, "Which one is Hunter?" It was cute. We went to one of my nephew's high school football games so naturally she thought of him right away. The boys were laughing and explaining to her that this was a different football team.





















Sadly enough, we have not been back to U of I for a football game ever. I guess we got busy with our careers, then kids, then we moved to Indy. Now that we're back in state, I thought it would be fun to do with the kids especially because Matt loves football so much. Brendan enjoyed watching the game though too. Kamryn liked eating.

As I was sitting there, I couldn't help but think of all the memories of my college days in school there. I remember visiting the school when I was in high school and thinking "Wow, I'd love to come here, it's seems like it's full of tradition and a cool place to be a part of." This weekend I was thinking similar thoughts but they were more like, "Wow, I was a part of this a long time ago."

After the game we drove and parked in front of the Pi Phi house. I did ring their doorbell and ask if we could peek inside. (So my 13 and 10 year old sons have been in their first sorority house!) I was pleasantly surprised to see that it looks the same.

We then walked on the quad, and I pointed out which buildings I had lots of my classes in. I told them about how daddy and I used to pass each other on this sidewalk before we were dating and would shyly say hi to each other.

















How many women can say that they are married to the first guy they met the first night of freshman year! It's true! Kevin was roommates with a friend of mine from back home. Tony and Kevin came to my dorm room to hang out that very first night. (we didn't start dating until the next year, but pretty weird, huh?)

In school this year, one of Matt's projects is to list a career he might like and from there pick out an in-state college that offers a program for that career. Amazing that in 7th grade they are already thinking of college. I don't remember thinking about it until High School.

Walking around the campus some things were the same, like the buildings, the big trees, the bike paths, the excitement of a win in the air. But we are not the same. Last time we were there, we were together but single. Now we are married and our three children are in tow. Wow.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

What great memories, Julie, and it's so nice that you were able to bring the whole family to share what was a memorable part of your lives. I absolutely loved my college days!

Altho I didn't meet Ron my freshman year (cuz I went to the junior college my first two years), I did meet him at a party the first week of my junior year. After the party, I told my roommate that I just met the man I was going to marry. And here we are, 20 married years and so many experiences later.


















R

Kerry said...

What a fun outing! And the kids all looked so cute- nice that they were able to see where mom and dad went to college and I am sure the boys loved the game.

Dave also went to UofI and is constantly singing fight song this time of year! Fun to see a win.

Melanie said...

I'm curious to know what Matt said about who he wants to be he grows up? :0)

2 China 4 Addison said...

Looks like such a fun day!

And I did meet Russ my freshman year of college AND we double dated, except my date was his friend, and he was with someone else! Funny, huh?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you went down to the game. It's been way to long. I have visions of the children going there. Hopefully they too will meet the love of their life.
Tell us more about what Matthew wants to do when he grows up!
Love ya, Mom