Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thankful for the snow blower . . . when I can get it started!






This is not a picture of our driveway. Our driveway was more like one HUGE drift.


Why does it always snow when Kevin is out of town? I know he doesn't plan his trips according to the weather, but seriously, he needs to buy a new snow blower . . . one that I can actually start! This morning we awoke to not a lot of snow for Chicago but enough snow that the driveway had a good amount of snow on it and more snow in most areas because of the drifting.

Kamryn and I put on our snowpants, boots, coats and mittens and out we went. I am out there disgruntled because I can't start the snowblower (it's the kind you need to put a lot of weight behind it and pull the string) and our shovels are in such sad shape. The only decent shovel we have is the one that my Carmel playgroup friends signed notes of affection on when we moved back here and that's hanging as a decoration in our garage now instead of being a useful tool. Then I remembered where Kevin is . . . sunny, warm, Orlando, FL. It did help a little knowing that he will probably not step foot outside of the hotel.

Kamryn was playing happily trying to make snowballs. But she didn't last too long so I had to stop and get her settled inside with Dora. Then I went back outside and got smart. I flagged down the guy driving by who had just plowed the cul-de-sac at the end of our street and asked him if HE could start the snow blower. I guess I would have been even smarter to ask him to just plow the driveway for me, but I didn't want to look that needy or like a wimp. I was secretly hoping he'd offer anyway but he didn't. At least he was nice enough to help me though, and at least I know when to ask for help. I finished the drive in no time and got back inside with Kamryn in just enough time to feed her lunch and get her to speech. What a difference it made having the snowblower do all the work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had the courage to ask that man to start the blower. I think you need an electric starter blower. Anyway, good for you, you cleaned the drive. Better than packing the snow down. Hopefully we won't get too much snow anymore this year. One good thing about the snow. The kids love to play in it. It's also very pretty!!
Congratulations on a good job.
Love ya, Mom

Sue said...

Ha. We are the same way....every big snowstorm occurs when D is out of town!!! We don't have a snowblower so I know my fate...