Friday, January 25, 2008

Where are the small acts of kindness?

Warning: I'm venting!

Matt leaves the house at 7am to walk down to the corner of the street to catch the bus. I hate that I can't see him from the house when he gets on the bus. He goes to the corner and then turns the corner to wait at the first driveway. (and that person doesn't shovel his sidewalks at all, and since he's the corner, he has a huge property area. So Matt has to trample through the snow. I wanted to go down, ring his bell and ask him to start my snow blower so I could plow his sidewalk. Which I WILL do today, plow for him, when Kevin can start the thing for me;)

It's been so bitter cold all week and today finally I drove him to the bus stop. It's only two/three doors down but I've noticed that the bus has been late this week. Figures, the coldest week where it's below zero or 5 degrees out. So I'm mad at myself for not driving him all week, but even a little bit more perturbed at the neighbor lady who drops off her daughter there every day on her way to work.

Matt told me she literally parks right in front of the driveway where he is standing and waits for the bus to come. Not once has she offered for Matthew to come sit in the van. I would so offer to her daughter to come in for warmth even for a minute if the roles were reversed.

We got spoiled in Indiana. That's the place where small acts of kindness are taking place every day. Neighbors wouldn't just start your snow blower if you couldn't;), they would snow blow your entire driveway. And it wasn't even just in the neighborhood with friends. Small acts of kindness happened there with strangers too. I remember being shocked the first time someone held open the door for me somewhere. I remember one rainy day while checking out at the grocery store with Kamryn, I was kind of hanging out waiting for it to let up. Well, some nice older gentlemen who was also waiting to go to his car, offered to accompany me to my car first. I remember thinking and saying no thanks, it's not necessary. But he held the umbrella over Kamryn and I while I pushed the cart, loaded the groceries and got her buckled in her seat! OMG! Can you see that happening here? Not a chance!

One small act of kindness goes a long way. And maybe it's contagious. It's the little things. I guess these two neighbors have reminded me that yes, it's important to be nice. People notice. It's a wake up call for me to not get caught up in the hustle bustle around here and instead try to offer some Hoosier hospitality to everyone I come in contact with.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Julie,
I wish I lived right next door. I'd come help you shovel as I can't start our snowblower either. Thanks for the playdate. Sorry we had to rush off.
Julie

Julie said...

Julie,

I so wished you lived right next door too! We'd have so much together and our kiddos would enjoy playing with each other too. Hey, there's a house across the street for sale!

Julie

Julie said...

oop - meant to say we'd have so much FUN hanging out together.

Unknown said...

Julie,

Yes, I know what you mean about kindness. That's why we so enjoy visiting the "Yoopers" in Michigan. Everyone is so nice.

I have been getting snow blower lessons this week. Pat will be in Michigan all next week. I guess it time for me to learn how to use the thing since we are having a "real winter" this year.

I enjoy your blogs and finally getting back in touch with you!

Kim