Friday, March 07, 2008

Brotherly Love















Way back in January, Matthew and Kamryn were shopping with me at Joanne Fabrics on a Sunday afternoon. Matt must have had cabin fever, because he never goes shopping with me! Anyway, Matthew noticed this fabric that he knew Brendan would love for his pirate room. I told him we could get it and he could make a pillow for Brendan for his birthday just like the pillow Matt made at school during his FACS class. Matt thought it was a great idea! Matt can sew, I can't. So I also bought this $20 stitching machine that I thought would be good enough for the pillow, but after threading it, Matt couldn't get it to work. So one night (way after Bren's bday sometime in Feb) the kids and I went to Grandma's house so Matt could borrow her real sewing machine. Grandma and Matt locked themselves in her craft room and when they came out, Matt presented Brendan with his pillow. A belated birthday gift from Matt, but one that was worth the wait. Brendan got this huge grin on his face, and we could tell he really loves it. By then Matt was grinning with pride too. Brendan thanked his brother, and I told them they could hug because I could tell they wanted to do something . . . well they liked the idea of a hand shake instead. I so wish I had it on film, but I don't, but I'll always remember that brotherly love in that moment. Brendan loves the pillow and sleeps with it every night. I am so proud of my boys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, Brendan truly loved that pillow. Julie, I saw that grin with you. The boys knew they should hug each other, but also knew that they are big boys now. A hand shake would do. Matt enjoyed giving that pillow. He had a smile just as big as Brendan's. Matt loved making the pillow and giving it and Brendan really enjoyed receiving it.
Their love for each other really showed on their faces at that minute.
Congratulations Matthew on another job well done.

Love, Mom

Sue said...

What a nice story! I like how they decided on a handshake! Too funny!