Friday, May 02, 2008

Kamryn's Dentist Visit











Last week Kamryn and I had dentist appointments. I went first. She watched me get X-rays taken. She was in my face during the cleaning and liked when the "straw" sucked out the water from my mouth. I thought she would totally be fine when it came time for her turn. I was wrong. She wouldn't leave my arms. So I had her smile for the dentist because I've noticed this brown spot in between her two front teeth. Yes, it's decay. Nope this dentist wouldn't even try working on her. Referred me to a pediatric dentist. (All week she's been playing dentist. Walking away from her babies and flipping a switch saying "click" - X-ray done. She was watching everything!)

This past Wednesday we visited the most fun waiting room ever with a fish tank and a cool toy structure to play in. We went back to the miniature land of examining rooms - small chairs for small people. She started fussing and preferred to sit on the cute little bench instead of the cute little reclining dental chair. Finally I got her on my lap and the dentist came in first to look at her since we didn't know how much time we had before a possible meltdown.

To everyone's surprise, while I was talking to the dentist, she got in the dental chair and let the hygienist clean her teeth! They were surprised at how well she was cooperating so they led her into the X-ray room and took some pictures.
















The good news is she cooperated. The bad news is she has 6 cavities and two of them should be crowned. Yes, her two front teeth. The other option is extracting them but I can't seriously go there when she has speech issues already and won't get her permanent teeth until she is about 7.

They want to do a conscious sedation in the office since she cooperated. I don't know if this is the right decision. I remember when Brendan was sedated for his MRI and it didn't really sedate him. It made him more restless I think. The other option is to go to the hospital and have her put under. Kamryn's two friends - Josh and Lilly - have had dental work done in the hospital.

Thinking about getting a second opinion to see whether the crowns are necessary. Anybody with young kiddos with bad teeth have any suggestions?

She loved getting her goodie bag with a new toothbrush, dental floss and goodies from the treasure box. I don't think she'll mind going back next time but little does she know that next time won't be as much fun. She won't be wanting to wear this shirt next time:)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure wouldn't know from Kamryn's smile that she has such bad teeth. Just look at that picture. She look perfect!! I'm so glad you noticed this and are getting it taken care of. I know she will do well. It's Mommy that I'm concerned about. I sure hope you come thru this without getting too upset.
Take good care!!
Love ya, Mom

2 China 4 Addison said...

Addison was mildly sedated for her x-ray procedure at the hospital 2 weeks ago. I"ll tell you more about it (and what the dr. told us about it) if you decide to go through with it....keep me posted. Sorry I don't have any dental advice.
Becki
(Love the pics, though!)

Ashton said...

How cute!!! I love the pix!

Chrissie said...

Oh boy. That's definitely no fun. Of course I can't speak to this subject. The closest thing we've come to with this is Logan's (the dog) molar extraction, and that was $600.00. NO questions there - he was put under ;-)

Although, if it were me, I may seriously consider putting her under for the routine. In the end, it may save you some stress and Kamryn some pain. Just my 2 cents :-)

Sue said...

ugh. Just typed my post about our dentist visit today. J had a bad experience w/ her 4 fillings. She was partially sedated and was quite groggy coming out of it and threw up. That changed her cooperation w/ the dentist for the next 2 visits!

Go with what you feel is right. Maybe you can talk w/ the receptionist and get a feel for what other parents opt for?

Julie said...

What a beautiful smile - gorgeous! You would never know any different.