Wednesday, August 27, 2008

All tucked in

Wow, you can tell school is in swing now. All three of my children were in their beds, lights off and well into dreamland before 10 pm. It's a good night. I imagine bedtime will crawl to an earlier time in no time.

I love when all of my children are snoozing. In fact, I hate when one of my children is not at home snoozing. Do I dare say it? I HATE SLEEPOVERS!






Not only friend sleepovers either. Just the other night Brendan stayed at my parent's house because he was going on a road trip with Grandma and Aunt B the next day to Indiana to visit cousins. The whole night I just felt unsettled. I could feel his absence especially when walking by his empty bed. The house just felt different. Of course I know he was fine, but I just do not like not having my kids home with me at night.

Now about friend sleepovers. I thought having boys, I wouldn't have to endure sleepovers so much. Not true. Boys just like girls like to stay up late. They have fun in different ways than I remember having fun at sleepovers. They like to play video games. We liked to make up our own games or play spoons or truth and dare. They like to watch You Tube. We liked to watch TV (but never at a sleepover, hmm, maybe a rented movie?) They like to talk about sports or cheat codes for their games. We liked to talk about boys. They like to play with Nerf guns. We liked to play with make-up or hair things.






(that's me, Heather, Sue and Jenny!)




The one thing in common is that everyone stays up late, giggling or laughing, and talking loudly into the wee hours of the night. Then the next day, the parents pay for it, even though everyone endures the slumber party hangover. The kids are cranky and overtired even though they will not admit it. (Being a night owl mom does sometimes come in handy during a sleepover)

I just sometimes don't get why it's not enough for the kids to stay at someone's house until later at night and then come home and sleep in their own bed. (Except for of course when we go visit our friends in Indiana or they visit us! I LOVE those kind of sleepovers!)

But now I sound like a hypocrite because in all truth, Kevin and I just had a date night that included a sleepover away from the kids:) and Heather, Sue, Jenny and I are trying to coordinate a spa retreat overnight. We'll see if it actually happens though because trying to get 4 moms away from their children on the same night could be tough. But we all know how valuable SLEEP is, kids don't. Especially when as a parent, we can't just sleep the whole next day.

Okay, sleepovers are fun. If they are few and far between.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I know the feeling of the "empty bed". Lauren just slept over at her friend's and in the morning the little girl's mom said to me "I think they finally fell asleep"!! And Hunter's sleepovers? Yeah I usually hear giggling until about 1 am when finally I threaten seperation if they don't quiet down. I secretly love it though! They're growing up so fast! And to see how much our boys love each other makes the sleepover hangover worth every bit- Hunter of course has to sleep in the middle every time!

Sue said...

Wow - haven't even thought about sleepovers yet! J has not done any...was going to try when we were east to see our families, but decided not to. Very funny to read the difference btwn your sleepovers and the boys!!!

And I hope you are able to have your special get together w/ your friends......you deserve it!!!

Julie said...

Julie,
I'm with you on the sleepovers. Hate them! I worry about my boys being influenced by other kids to TP, or sneak out and then the next day is always terrible with crabby kids. I had a no sleepover policy then let my 4th grader go to 2 and now I'm back to no sleepovers. WE do late-overs where they stay until 10pm and then we pick them up. I'm the mean mom but too bad.