Saturday, August 30, 2008

Panda Bear Heaven

The boys got their bedrooms painted first. We decided they should get settled in their rooms first after we moved in, and I'm glad we did that. After all, when Kamryn started climbing out of her crib, she came into our room. She wasn't in her room anyway! One Colts room, one Pirate Room, and now last but not least, one pink and purple girly girl room with a panda bear picnic theme going on in her attached playroom.

Just look at her playing in her playroom. I painted the walls in there a mint white and the angled wall & ceiling a pale blue but you can't really tell from this picture. This was before the mural was added.















I decided to keep her bedroom in the ladybug and flowers theme until she gets old enough to really express a liking for something else. Her bedroom walls are painted lilac and pink & any other girly theme will most likely go with them later too. I still need a few decorations but it's coming together. I love her quilted bedspread on her big girl bed which coordinated great with the accessories I already had. Knock on wood, she has been sleeping in her room all night long most nights now!

I really like the every other wall a different color. I was nervous to do it, but my friend Kris painted Sophie's room purple and green like that, and I loved it!

































Her playroom is really just an extension of her closet. I first thought of a teddy bear picnic theme to help coordinate the play kitchen she has in there and the ladybugs and flowers going on in her bedroom. Then I realized she has all these panda bear stuffed animals, and since pandas are from China and so is she, I decided a panda bear picnic would be more fun. So after getting quotes from 3 muralists, I found the one right for us. She does amazing work! Her name is Pam Nelson, and I found her online at www.findamuralist.com. Go figure. And she had just two weeks prior to my call decided to add herself to that website.

Here are some pictures. I just love how it brings the room to life and makes it so fun to be in there. Lately, I find myself just wanting to be in there by these panda friends.

Before:
















After:
















Before:
















After:
















Before:



















After:



















These pictures truly do not do it justice. Just try to look at the detail! Or come on over!














Look at this panda's eyes. I just want to hug this one!

















I don't know if you can see the shadows she painted on the wall. Check out the apple, bamboo and teacup on the picnic blanket. I wanted to add a tea cup because Kamryn has always loved playing with her play tea sets. Of course we added ladybugs and butterflies too.
















I hope that Kamryn won't outgrow these realistic looking panda friends too soon. Of course in my mind I tell myself that as she gets older and learns more about her heritage and birth country, she will have an even greater fondness for the panda bears in her big closet and it will be a special retreat for her.





10 comments:

Kerry said...

OH MY Julie! Are you kidding me. It is perfect. So So adorable. Kamryn is never ever going to want to leave. I love it. Can't wait to see it in person.

Julie you are a terrific mom. I always admire how you are so in tune to all your children and their needs- different ages, genders, likes- no matter. You are so in tune and such a loving mom. Kam's room is beautiful and I know that she will make wonderful memories there.
Hugs

Kerry said...

Ok i can't get over the Pandas! You are the best home decorator. I will need your help when we move.

Just love it. I called my mom and sis and had them take a look too!

It looks fabulous.

me again- so excited I had to lok twice.

Julie said...

Thanks so much Kerry! Yes, I would love to help you decorate after you move. The thing with me though is that it takes me some time to decide what to do. But then it hits me!

Come over soon! And bring your mom and sis!

Kristen said...

Julie,

I just love how Kamryn's playroom turned out - I love the panda/bamboo theme--when I saw the panda laying on the blanket, I just wanted to get down on the floor and join him! I'll Kamryn just loves it!

Can't wait to see it in person!

Anonymous said...

I wish everyone could see this playroom in person. It's soooooo cute!!! I even sat in there for a half an hour on Monday. Kamryn and I were having a tea party while Mommy and Daddy were preparing a delicious brunch for the family. This room is so comfortable, I hate to leave it.
Enjoy Kamryn!!!!!
Love ya, Grandma

Twice Blessed China Mom said...

Oh my gosh! How incredibly beautiful! Well, now I know who to ask for suggestions about home decoration! I'd also really like to come and play in the playroom!
Jeana

2 China 4 Addison said...

Wow, I love the playroom, those pandas are incredible!
And Kamryn's room turned out beautiful. I hope she loves it!

Sue said...

WOW!!!!! The murals are just amazing!! Love it! So sweet to use the tea party theme that Kami loves. And her "big girl room" looks super! Can't wait to see it in person!

Chrissie said...

Oh Julie - how absolutely beautiful! A perfect room for Kamryn - what a special idea. Gosh, I'd love to see it in person ... wish I lived closer :)

Julie said...

Chrissie,

I wished you lived closer too! Please know you are welcome to visit anytime if you are ever in the area! That would be fun.