Friday, November 14, 2008

Healthy Eating is hard to do!

Wednesday night I went to a "seminar" that my chiropractor's office was having at Whole Foods. It was about how to read labels and buy healthy foods.

First let me tell ya, I am doing everything wrong. The only good thing about this revelation is that there is great room for improvement. (When I say "they" I am referring to the gal from the chiro office and what the doctors there believe.)

My top five pitfalls:

1. Diet Pop - I am trying to give it up. They said regular pop is better than the aspartame in the diet sodas. Hmm, maybe that's why I always have a dull headache or brain fog feeling? Water is the best thing to drink. I knew this already.












2. Sugars - I love my chocolate! The only thing going for me is that I love dark chocolate and that is actually one sugar that they said is good for you in moderation.









3. Cheeses, or anything pasteurized. Okay, how can my family give up milk when Brendan has 3 bowls of cereal a day! They said "raw" is better. Raw cheese and raw milk. Raw vegetables, raw nuts. I guess organic milk is a better option for us, but is it really better?

4. Grains - I know wheat is better than white and pasta is bad. But come on, no grains at all? They told us about sprouted bread. Never heard of it. It's flourless. I bought a loaf and it's not bad, but the kids won't want it for their sandwich. But then again, lunch meat is out too because it's processed.

5. Meats - They said anything cooked is bad because it destroys the nutrients and actually causes carcinogens. I didn't believe it but just today I actually OPENED my Women's Health magazine that comes every month:) and I saw the following article:

When beef, pork, poultry or fish are cooked at 350 degrees or higher, their amino acids and creatine form carcinogenic chemicals called heterocyclic amines or HCAs. But in a study reported in the Journal of Food Science,HCA levels in steak dropped by up to 88 percent when the meat was soaked in an herbal bath for an hour before grilling. Marinating your meat can cut cancer risk.



WHAT IS LEFT TO EAT?!

Okay, the gal doing the talk said that you shouldn't eat fruits after 12:00 noon because they contain sugar. We should only eat 20 grams of sugar a day. Also said that any vegetable pulled out of the ground has lots of sugars, like carrots, and you should really stick to the green vegetables.









Figures, carrots are the one vegetable that my kids actually eat.

Granny smith apples, celery and cucumbers are good because they are alkalizing. (whatever that means, I still don't understand it.) We like these, thank goodness.

I tried some new foods. Ate pine nuts and liked them, but boy are they expensive! Tried a kale salad.








Liked it and brought some home. No one else liked it. Tried a dairy free version of Oreo's and didn't like them at all and actually said out loud that if I didn't like them my kids wouldn't. The lady at Whole Foods let me bring home an organic dairy version of them home free for the kids to try. (I should have spoken up more!) Brendan & I don't like those either. Brought home some raw Gruyere cheese. Matt & I like it. Brought home organic Buckwheat dairy and egg free waffles . . . still sitting in the freezer.

Looking in the freezer tonight deciding what to make for dinner, I opted for the frozen Schwan's lasagna. That is surely not on the healthy list - pasteurized cheese, pasta, meat - but hey, I have to make whatever is already here, right? The sprouted bread made great garlic toast:)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I'd starve before I'd be able to eat some of that stuff.
I'm not into health foods and made it past 70!!!
Gotta go now. Think I'll have a piece of white bread toast!!
Love ya, Mom

PS: Good luck. I give you credit for trying these things. :o))

2 China 4 Addison said...

I guess we would all be VERY thin if we followed these rules, there's not much left for us to eat! :)
I finally had a chance to catch up on your blog tonight. Loved seeing how you are all doing! and I love Kamy's new haircut, it looks adorable! I'll have to try drying Addie's hair sometime to see if it would look that nice!
Hope to see you soon, we miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Wow Julie, this was really interesting! What a challenge - good for you for going to the seminar and trying all the samples. I try my best for us all to eat fruits and veggies, fat free, sugar free, etc etc, I'm thinking I'm not doing so well. thanks for posting, fun to read!

Carol

Kerry said...

Wow, Julie. I need to do better- but I just know we could never do most of what is on this list.

I am willing to give up diet coke. And we have gone all whole wheat- but most of it has seeds- which Dave can not have.

I am with your Mom- I need some toast too. And maybe even some eggs with that. Hopeless cases.

Kristen said...

It is so hard to eat healthy and it's so expensive! Have you tried Paul Newman's cookies that are like oreos? They're actually pretty good.

We've already converted to organic milk, whole wheat breads and pastas...my biggest vice right now is the diet pop. I know the aspartame is just awful for you, but sometimes water just doesn't cut it. I think Diet Rite is the only diet pop that doesn't contain aspartame.

Would love to hear more about what you learned.

Anonymous said...

Boy, I would look like a stick if I followed those rules. In other words, I would not eat!!! I look at past generations that ate regular meals (butter included) but worked and played outside regularly (without all of today's electronics). Somehow, they survived. I guess I'm a cynic, but I'll bet you can get all those new fangled foods at Whole Foods! Good for you for trying new stuff though. Good luck with it.

Love to all,

Lin

Sue said...

Sounds like a very educational and interesting class! However, you'd be spending about 3x your food budget if you have to buy all that food from Whole Foods! So brave of you to try all the new things. And yes, you can buy unpasteurized milk here - there are specific rules about it - but personally I'll stick to organic. B would be proud of you - she loves pine nuts!

Julie said...

Julie,
It is so hard to do, almost impossible. I stick to the everything in moderation and I try to throw in alot of vegetables and water. Good luck.