Tuesday, June 10, 2008

End of the school year picnics












I am fortunate enough to live close to my mom for a number of reasons, but at this time of year, especially because she is able to babysit Kamryn! Because of her help, I was able to go on a field trip with Brendan's class and then another day to Matt's school for his 6th grade picnic.

Back in Carmel it was no problem volunteering at school because I didn't have a little one at home. I enjoyed being in the classrooms with the boys and helping out at school functions when I could. They liked me being there. It amazes me really that B still wants me to go on school trips with him. It makes me feel good that he does really want me around. I know the day will come when he won't.

During Brendan's picnic at Indian Head Park, the classes rotated between different events; water balloons, softball, kickball, etc. Brendan wanted me to play kickball so lucky for me I actually kicked the ball really hard and ran to first base. I could have made it to second, but I didn't feel like booking it. I'm just glad I didn't embarrass and disappoint my son in front of his entire class! He was happy after the game, and told me, "good thing you had on gym shoes." Ha! He knows that's a rare thing. I only wear my gym shoes when I am working out. Otherwise, it's usually cute sandals of some sort. I definitely couldn't have played kickball in sandals without getting hurt.

Matt's picnic was at his school. My mom joked with me that day before I left that I didn't have on my gym shoes to play kickball. I knew that I wouldn't be asked to play kickball with the sixth graders. Sure enough. I was right. I barely even saw Matt. The only time the parent volunteers saw the kids is when they were in line getting their food. Then the kids quickly ate and ran back out to the field to play whatever they were playing. It was a nice time for me to mingle with other moms and meet some new people though.

No comments: