Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kevin's Uncle Bob turned 80
















So his cousins threw a birthday party for him at a restaurant up near O'Hare. We don't see Kevin's extended family very often, and since we've been back in Chicago, we've only seen some of them once last summer. It was nice to see everyone again and introduce Kamryn to some of them who had not met her yet. There was a band playing so Kamryn had a ball dancing with everyone.

Kevin's cousin Roberta adopted her daughter from China I think 9 years ago. (because Mary Claire is close in age to Brendan.) I remember meeting Mary at a family party when she was just a toddler. I remember thinking way back then that I too would like a daughter from China.

The cool thing the night of the party (other than celebrating Uncle Bob's 80th bday) was that Kamryn went with open arms immediately to Mary Claire. Mary whisked Kamryn around on her hip the whole night and took great care of her. I was sitting by them at a table and Mary said to me, "she has small eyes like me." I replied, "yes she does, and you are both beautiful." One of Kevin's other cousins reminded me that when Roberta first told Mary about us adopting from China, Mary said, "oh good someone in the family who will look like me."

I am glad they have each other. There is definitely a special bond between the two of them even though there is an age difference and even though they don't see each other very often. They are cousins. They are family. They look different than all of us. But to each other, they look the same.
















The boys didn't know that daddy had cousins with boys around their age. They had fun hanging out together even if it took most of the night to warm up!

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Such a special relationship! So wonderful that Kamryn has that bond.

Julie said...

Julie,
That is so sweet that Kamryn went right to Mary Claire. They will have such a special bond. We never know how our girls are going to feel when they get older and it is so sweet she could express this to you.